What to do?

J. Eric Gilliland patzeric at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 20:42:12 CST 2003

> Then again, the owner might be an a-hole and tell you
> feck off.

Or he might really be an a-hole and have you arrested for
cracking their network, which is how he would probably view
it.

I think the people who are saying stay away are right on
the money here.  I don't see anything but heartache coming
from contacting them.  The one rule that everyone in
business follows is CYA, and the people at this company
will all throw you under the bus to save their jobs if need
be.  Why open yourself up to possible litigation and arrest
for the sake of helping someone who obviously does not give
a crap about security?

Maybe I'm a pessimist (ok, I am), but this whole thing
makes my Danger Danger warning bells go off big time.

My one and three eights cents,

Eric Gilliland

=====
J. Eric Gilliland
patzeric at yahoo.com

The archaeologist has a unique chance to determine empirically how preliterate cultures came to be
as they were.  His use of technical procedures in reaching an ever more finely drawn chronological
scale needs no apology; these are prerequisite to his determination of culture change through time,
a subject in which he should be able to work with unique authority.
-- G. W. Brainerd 1951