Redhat Linux 8.0 and getting modem to answer

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Fri Jan 10 15:18:51 CST 2003

Moss, Jon wrote:
> Thank you very much!  I was trying to be patient.  :)
>
> I installed mgetty yesterday at work and found a couple of how-to's via
> Google.  Late in the day yesterday I modified my inittab and rebooted.
> However, I was getting errors (and repeated errors from the respawning)
> so I edited inittab to comment out mgetty and rebooted again.  I didn't
> have time to review the errors further but will do so later this morning.
>
> I've read through some of the man pages on mgetty and pppd and several
> how-to's, but will do some more reading.
>
> What version of mgetty are you using?  Do you know which one works best
> or better with Redhat 8.0?
>
> Thanks for the offer of assistance.  I'll try to muddle through this
> without bothering too much!

For reference:

My serial-port console entry in inittab for RH7.2:

# Serial port console
S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L ttyS0 38400 vt102

I'm not sure what (if anything) would have to change for modem access,
but the above works fine for a plain old serial port.

Also, don't reboot after changing inittab, just "telinit q".  See "man
telinit" for details, as usual.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net