Linux for vinyl-to-CD

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Jan 9 20:26:22 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phoenician" <phoenician at phoenixcolony.com>

> As far as that other OS goes, I think that Sonic Foundry's
> Sound Forge, Cool Edit, and Acid Pro could do what you need it to.

This is the stage where I really hate Windows - it's gonna cost me $30 - $50
each to try those programs and see where the compromises and glitches are.
Yeah, they may have free trial versions, but I've yet to see one of those
that wasn't so annoying to use I couldn't tell if I would want the
commercial software.  What if they insist I upgrade my PC to 98 or XP?  On
paper, CD Creator with Spin Doctor looks like the perfect tool, but in
practice it won't do the job.

I just bought the "Pro" upgrade for Quicktime from Apple for another project
(Darwin Streaming Server), and it doesn't have the options that the
documentation says to use to prepare video for streaming.  $32 to find out
that I still can't do the job.  At least when you find out that some Linux
hack has all the features you need but it doesn't quite work yet, you're
only out the time.