Public Thank-You

Seth Dimbert s.dimbert at fhmr.com
Wed Jan 8 15:03:37 CST 2003

I don't want to bother anyone with OT traffic, but I have to say a public,
on-list "thank you" to Jared Smith and Eric Rossiter, two people that I know
only online. I posted a plea for help to the list some three weeks ago and
both Jared and Eric offered to help. Both gave me many specific suggestions
via e-mail for solutions to my problem and both - this is unbelievable to
me - agreed to take the time to login to my box via SSH and "poke around" in
an attempt to get me up and running.

Eric even sat online with me for almost 3 hours, IM'ing and reinstalling
various software packages!

Though, in the end, it was Jared who found the magic button to make things
work, I appreciate the time and effort that both offered. Not only is my
server now successfully running the PostNuke CMS I wanted to install, I now
have a greater understanding of apt-get, RPM's, SSH, package-installs, file
dependencies, the command-line, MySQL, php, permissions and a host of other
Linux-related issues that - while still complex - are no longer mysteries to
me.

It is my opinion that Jared and Eric's actions - while automatic and
understandable to most of us - are, in fact, still unfortunately alien to
most American computer experts and represent the very best of the potential
of both the Internet and the Open Source movement.

Thanks, guys. Thank you very much. If I have the opportunity to make it to a
LUG Meeting, let's please introduce ourselves.

-SD
(sdimbert.servehttp.com - My experiment in free web service)