su issues (was "")

david nicol whatever at davidnicol.com
Mon Jan 6 04:27:43 CST 2003

We've been linked to a groups solution and a ACL solution (sudo provides
the /etc/sudoers access list but a sudoers group would work too)

How about patching su to crash and burn when the offered username is
"" or "root"? That'll take about this much coding

	if (!username) exit;
	if (*username == 'r' && username[1] == 'o' &&
	    username[2] == 'o' && username [3] == 't') exit

but you'd have to open up your su source and find where to paste it in.

--
David Nicol, independent consultant and contractor            312 587 2868
                                                    "Grey is the new gray"