RedHat

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Wed Feb 26 18:38:09 CST 2003

Jason Clinton wrote:
> If you can explain to me how a RedHat/Linux newbie can do the following
> things without reling mostly on the console, I'll give you 50 blank
> CD-Rs at the next meeting:

I'm a RH desktop newbie, and will take a stab at some of these.  I will
*NOT* use a terminal window through the whole process.

> * Install and play quake3 online

Hmm...this looks like commercial software, and I'm not a gamer, so I
have no intetrest in purchasing it.  Am I missing something?

> * Install the latest Mozilla 1.3b with antialiasing support

Download 1.3b RPMs for RH8 from Mozilla.org (I grabbed 8 RPM's out of
the 11...I didn't get any of the 3 -devel pacakages).
Install RPM
   Double-click "home" in KDE to open file-manager
   Shift-select all 8 mozilla packages
   Right-click, and select "install packages"

BTW:  THIS VERSION OF MOZILLA ROCKS!!!  I can finally read the text on
web-pages!!!

> * Switch to KDE (because I'd like to try it out)

This is easy:
Extras > preferences > Desktop Switching Tool
I can pick Gnome, KDE, or TWM

> * Install sodipodi (the best vector graphics tool for Linux)

Download RH8 RPM from sodipodi sourceforge site
Install RPM:
   Open "home" in KDE
   right-click sodipodi rpm
   select "install packages"

> * get a samba share or server running
> * watch TV on my TV tuner
> * install new themes for GTK or QT or even XMMS

These will have to wait until at least after lunch, but the first
several seem pretty straight-forward, and other than typing a few search
terms into google to find sodipodi, were all done with the mouse only.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net