Duel Ethernet card problems?

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Thu Feb 6 22:00:31 CST 2003

Doug Bronson wrote:
> Hi all.
> Thanks for the information.
> I hope nobody minds, but there were so many responses to my query that I
> decided to reply to all at one time.
>
> As you have probably guessed, my problem still exist.
>
> Below are copies of some of the responses that were received.
>
> In them you will find the answers to the questions that were asked.
<snip>
> If I did not answer your question above, please advise me where to look.

OK, it sounds like your cards are probably working OK, which leaves
wacky attempted network configuration as one potential suspect.

Please draw an ascii-art diagram of your network configuration, and
indicate which IP addresses are getting assigned to which cards.

The output of "ip addr" and "ip route" would also be helpful.  Include a
dump of the current firewall rules (ipchains -nvL or iptables -nvL) for
good measure as well.

I'm almost suspecting you're trying to hook all three cards to the same
physical network, which causes all sorts of problems with arp, routing,
and generally confuses the situation to no end (although it *IS*
possbile to setup, if you really need to).  It's also possible something
odd is going on with your external network (mac address caching by your
cable modem would be one possibility, but without some sort of concept
about what your network looks like, I'm literally grasping at
straws...and there are no straws nearby! :).

If the three cards are not on the same network, do you have proper
static routes in place where required, and valid firewall rules allowing
the desired traffic?

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net