Outlook/Exchange

Benjamin Fisher dentariz at linuxmail.org
Wed Feb 5 21:08:34 CST 2003

Re: Guys, it's not a big, mysterious deathtrap, it's software, and darned good
Re: software for what it is.  I've had a home network running Exchange and Outlook

Yep, those two work together fine.

Re: since 5.0 came out, and it's fast and elegant.  Yes, it has gaping security
Re: holes in it - most software from the mid-90's did, because we really didn't
Re: understand what the web was becoming.  Open Source software has vulnerabilities
Re: too, and if there were as many active attacks circulating as there are for the
Re: more popular Windows products you'd see a lot more problems with Linux boxes.

Certainly.

Re: I'm no Microsoft lover, but there are things about NT4 and Exchange 5 that are
Re: far superior to their later code.

Can't really comment on code I can't see, or methods I can't watch the goings-on of.

Re:
Re: Anyway...
Re:
Re: The IMAP and POP connectors have to be installed, then there are two places to
Re: switch them on and off, a system-wide default setting and a per-user setting.
Re: If they're installed, you'll probably see the port open, even if they're
Re: disabled by default because they're disabled on the authentication level.
Re: Ditto for the per-user setting if you personally are not enabled.
Re:

Talking about using what client?  Doesn't sound like you're talking about Evolution, but I could be
mistaken.  That's how this thread begun - my asking a question about maybe getting this Exchange
5.x server to work with Evolution in sending and receiving internally and externally.

Re: That's it.  No big, mysterious, misunderstood configuration to baffle the poor
Re: administrator, just a simple on-off switch.

I'm sure it is.  I suppose the administrator on this campus is just unawares.

Re:
Re: SMTP is likewise probably not mis-configured, it's just not set up for what you
Re: personally want to do.

You mean send e-mail off-campus?  Hmm, everyone else can.  Of coure everyone else uses Outlook.
Which leads (again) back to my original point/question.

Re:
Re: A little sound research beats wild arm-waving speculation any day.  It's people
Re: who speculate about what Microsoft was "up to" who screw up their own
Re: configurations far more than those who try to learn what it's really designed
Re: to do.

That's what my original message was about - trying to figure out what Exchange/MSProxy/Outlook is
all doing together that causes it to only work with Outlook on my specific campus.

-

Now then.

I don't use Windows because I don't like it.  Security has been a concern, yes, but not the only
one, really.  Stability is an issue, although MS is getting a little bit better at it;  not the
only issue, again.  I find open-source wonderful simply because it does what I tell it to do
without any hassle.

As far as someone saying open-source isn't for everyone;  that I do not understand.  Anyone can use
it just as much as anyone can use Windows.  On this campus, when something doesn't do exactly what
you thought it ought to do in Windows what do you do?  You find someone like me.  The same for any
operating system.  People just seem to like chains that look pretty.  And I'm not talking about bad
software there.  Linux has proven itself capable of doing nigh unto every mundane task that gets
done every day on this campus.  Again, those darned polka-dotted chains.

My original point may be fruitless, since I probably won't get out of the administrator what I need
to know about the mail and proxy server in order to figure out what's going on between everything.
Last time I asked, in fact, he seemed not to know, as well as the rest of his department.  Hmm.
These small liberal arts colleges need more money.  Anyone have a few million laying around
somewhere?  Dollars, that is.

Ben
http://www.linuxmail.org/