Sorta OT: Dedicated Hosting or Co-Location Hosting in KC Metro Area

Aaron aaron at aarons.net
Sun Aug 31 06:57:22 CDT 2003

Because I work in this business I have to be careful what I say about people. :)  Here are some
notes about the providers mentioned below.

KCHost:

I don't believe they do colocation.  I could be wrong but here is what their IP resolves to:

208.188.208.209  adsl-208-188-208-209.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net

You might want to check into what kind of connectivity they have.  That looks like a DSL line to me.

GreenSoft (gsi):

I know very little about them.  They get their connectivity from Sprint and they took up some of
the space vacated by Communitech.

WebHostingETC:

Can't really comment since their site wouldn't load right for me.  Never heard of them.

Always24x7:

These guys are in Texas.  They're not local.

A couple of the local companies that do colo:

Wholesale Internet  (That's who I work for.)
Netstandard
Switch and Data
PlanetKC
Hypervine

...and just about any of the other facilities based ISP's in town.  The two biggest out of the ones
listed above are Switch and Data and Wholesale Internet.  All I really know about Switch and Data
is that they charge $800 per rack plus power plus bandwidth.  I don't know if they do half racks or
not.  Our standard pricing for a half rack would be $300 per month and then $100 per Mbit.  So if
you wanted a half rack with a T1 all to yourself it would cost you $450 per month.  If you're going
on transfer that would give you roughly 480GB per month of transfer.  That price includes 10 Amps
of power.

Aaron