OT: looking for text file find and replace utility

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Fri Aug 29 19:54:12 CDT 2003

Hello all!

I've run into a bit of a problem and I was hoping someone out there in
TV-Land might know the right tool for the job.

I have a group of 6 scripts that I need to do multiple find and replace
operations on.  Basically the find and replace operations are all simple
'change all instances of "cat" to "dog"' type operations, but I have
upwards of 400 of these searches that I need to be performed against each
of these 6 scripts.  The thought of doing that manually gives me the
willies, and it would take a lot of time.  I'd really like something I
could just feed lists of variables into and let it go to town, even if it
only did it for one file at a time.

I know that I could probably grep this all up pretty nicely (if I knew
how), but I'm kinda stuck with Wintel tools.  Anyone out there come across
any Wintel tools to batch lots of text file find and replace operations?

Thanks!

Kevin Finch
Network Administrator
DST Systems, Inc.