Suggestions on best distro to install on this box.

Chris Wagner ismgr at atchisonkansas.net
Tue Aug 26 13:59:32 CDT 2003

Right now we have a Win2K box that I am considering installing Linux on
(actually not considering - is a done deal, just need suggestions), but
I'm not sure which distro might be the best for the need.

The box is an older one -

K6-2 366
196MB
20GB

Would like to install a more recent distro with a minimum of effort and
have a nice UI to deal with.

I am finding that I really like the interface of Yellow Dog, but it's on
even older hardware, so I'd like to take the load off of it and put it
on this box.

YDL uses a lot of Red Hat stuff in it as far as configuration options
which I really like, but I guess I'm wondering about if this machine
will even run a more recent version of RH.

And if so, do I have to join the RH network just to download it?

I have a copy of Mandrake 8.1, which I realize is outdated, but I didn't
know which to install.

This would be a machine that primarily would be used for hosting and
some minor desktop use by my daughter (probably more games than anything).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris