linux ?

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Aug 24 17:40:56 CDT 2003

Brian D wrote:

> --- Jason Clinton wrote:
>
>>Christopher A. Bier wrote:
>>

>>>  Paul,
>>>You'll want to add this to your ~/.bash_profile
>>
>>file, if you're
>>
>>>using bash.
>>You could use that solution but it would probably be
>>better if you added
>>the changes to a file in /etc/env.d . On most Linux
>>systems, an
>
> /etc/env.d is distro dependent on my system it is
> /etc/profile.d
> but all distros should have a /etc/profile script
> where the changes can be added.

I read a couple of days ago that on Debian systems they discourage the
use of environment variables.  Something about having decent default
values for programs without depending on environment variables to be there.

--
A Computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
-as seen on IRC