More Linux ?s

Paul Taylor paul at kcnetcare.com
Sun Aug 24 16:24:20 CDT 2003

Thanks for the previous advice everyone.

When I originally installed Red Hat 8.0 I set both as DHCP clients. Now I
want them to be static assignments. Here is my issue...

/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices contains two files: ifcfg-eth0 &
ifcfg-eth1
ifcfg-eth0:
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=10.0.0.255
IPADDR=10.0.0.200
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=10.0.0.0
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
GATEWAY=10.0.0.1
TYPE=Ethernet

ifcfg-eth1:
DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=no
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=10.10.10.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=10.10.10.254
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=no
NETWORK=10.10.10.0
BROADCAST=10.10.10.255

When the boxes boot my IP address for each are the same IP addresses
specified in the ifcfg-x files above.

After some time my Red Hat machines will run a dhcp client and change IP
address to my DHCP server range (10.0.0.2 to 50). Configuring my DHCP server
to give these boxes a static IP isn't an option (ISDN modem).

/etc/init.d/network restart gives me my static IP address on eth0 (eth1
disabled).

In /sbin directory I have two files: dhclient and dhclient-script.

If I do this: /sbin/./dhclient my eth0 interface will go to DHCP server and
get an IP address (eth1 is uncabled)

I've spent a few hours looking around on the Internet.

I think something is causing those dhclients to run and overwrites my static
entries.

Anyone know how I can stop *any* dhcp client from running on my boxes? I
prefer not to delete the files unless it's necessary.

Thanks,
Paul