Ernie Ball dumps Microsoft for Linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Aug 22 11:47:06 CDT 2003

On Friday 22 August 2003 1:23 am, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> I sent it because I thought it was a very good case study and well
> written.  The guy was just mad at Microsoft to start out and could have
> easily gone to Novell or elsewhere....

Novell doesn't offer a realistic workstation solution.  Yeah, there's DRDOS,
but who's going to run 8 bit console apps in a business?

Has anybody ever seen a network running Novell servers and some non-Microsoft
clients like Linux or Sun?

You can do an all-Sun network, and you can use Sun or dumb terminals off of
*NIX servers.  Some of the stories where Linux has been instituted for
various cities' networks have been installations where they were already
running a propietary Unix with applications running off the server.