Ernie Ball dumps Microsoft for Linux

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Fri Aug 22 03:45:02 CDT 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> I sent it because I thought it was a very good case study and well
> written.  The guy was just mad at Microsoft to start out and could have
> easily gone to Novell or elsewhere, but he obviously listened to the
> guys in his IT dept.   For once someone stated that the analysts weren't
> completely right about ROI or TCO.

The other overlooked fact that _really_ drove it home for me was:

"I would have loved to have fought it. But when (the BSA) went to Congress
to get their powers, part of what they got is that I automatically have to
pay their legal fees from day one. That's why nobody's ever challenged
them--they can't afford it. My attorney said it was going to cost our side
a quarter million dollars to fight them, and since you're paying their
side, too, figure at least half a million. It's not worth it."

Unless your company has money to burn, and knows FOR SURE they don't have
a shred of non-compliant software, you might be inclined to get the
whilly-nillies over the situation.  I do a pretty good job of keeping us
in compliance in our organization... but that doesn't mean I'm not talking
with my risk retention folks about additional reserves to mitigate such
activity.

One pissed of ex-employee can make your life a nightmare with these folks.
Damn!

D.

--
| Dustin Decker - CNA, MCP          |
| dustin at dustindecker.com       o-------------------------------------o
| Network Engineer              | "Where there is much light there is |
| Preferred Physicians Group    |  also much shadow."                 |