Ghosting with Linux

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Wed Aug 20 20:41:34 CDT 2003

>  > >
>  > So now are you going to script this to a file like "backup_hda1_now"?
>  > How about putting the restore script on in a file on a bootable Linux
>  > floppy or CD?  There is your restore solution.
>
> I was just mentioning to a co-worker that a bootable backup cd|dvd which
> burns bootable restore media would be a great project. And for those
> willing to go that route a product waiting to happen.
>
> There are however lots of issues with hardware detection, idiot-proof
> user interface, and media resizing which could be really tedious. Can
> anyone recommend a good single-image livecd linux distribution?

Try the LightGUI version of Morphix from morphix.org based on Knoppix or
maybe Knoppix, although it's way too big for a rescue disk.  Try
damnsmalllinux.org for a minimal distro with the same great hardware
detection of Knoppix.  There are some other special distros based off
Knoppix here: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomizations

So what do you think?
--
A Computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
-as seen on IRC