[mail] Without getting flamed, can someone answer me a question?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Aug 15 20:02:50 CDT 2003

On Friday 15 August 2003 3:13 pm, Rob Becker wrote:

> The way I understand it, SCO owns some of the rights to one of the
> earlier trunks of the UNIX source tree.

According to Novell, what they own is the right to use and distribute, not the
actual rights to the code, which Novell retains.

A side note:  I believe it was the original Santa Cruise Operation that did
the commercial strain of System V, in parallel with UC Berkely's more open
strain.  Eventually, some of the people from UCB went on to create and
release Berkeley Source Distribution or BSD, but nothing remains of the
original SCO except the name, which has been passed around quite a bit in
recent years.  The same group that bought Caldera from Novell bought the
rights to the SCO name from someone else, I forget who.