More about xf86

lowell lowell at kc.rr.com
Thu Aug 14 07:08:51 CDT 2003

Folx:
       The reason for my post yesterday about XF86 was because of my
laptop, which is a ThinkPad 770. Somewhere between RH8.0 and RH9.0, (I
suspect when the bluecurve came into existence)the distribution forgot
about this machine. With 8.0 XF found everything just fine and used all
the screen real estate perfectly; with 9.0, I get a 6x9 square in the
middle and a nice big black border. 98 used to do the same thing until
one loaded the IBM video drivers.
         The XF86Config only shows 800x600 (hence the big border), and
when I modify the file to show 1028x768, it won't run. It knows the
video card (trident cyber 9xxx) but wants to call itself using a generic
svga (I think). wish 9.0 still had Xconfigurator...