OT: Question about Novell

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Tue Aug 12 22:35:18 CDT 2003

I know this is way off topic, but I don't know anybody who uses Novell.
  I did install services for NFS so that is relevent and Novell just
purchased Ximian so that makes them sorta relevent. Novell has services
that will run on Linux so that makes them relevent also.  ANYWAYS.

I just installed a Novell 6 demo from a free download so I could learn
something about it.  Well I finally got it installed after some
problems, but now I can't log in to it remotely from Windows or from the
Console One app.  I keep getting a message about "the object named could
not be found in the context specified" error -601.  NDS acts basically
like an LDAP server and I have read stuff about that, but do I have to
put CN=admin.OU=myou.O=organization in the context?  I did type the
admin users context in exactly as I wrote it down when I created the NDS
tree.  It just doesn't take.  It's not like when you log in as root, you
don't have to give the FQDN of the machine you are on.  This is driving
my crazy.

Anyway Console One is a java-based app that runs on the server in this
case.  You can run it remotely I think, but I can't connect to the
server remotely at all yet.

I'm messing w/ this to learn and for a job I'm trying to get.  It can't
hurt.

--
A Computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
-as seen on IRC