cool linux projects

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Aug 10 03:02:32 CDT 2003

Chad Phillips wrote:

>>  It appears to have all the features I want though.  My concern right
>>now is that the fastest PC I have (PIII-500) is supposedly the very
>>absolute minimum for the project.
>>
>>What kind of pc do you have running WebVCR+?
>

> I am running a PIII 800.  It encode straight to divx without a problem,
> but I don't record at full resolution.  Webvcr does not have near as many
> features as MythTv, but from what I have heard MyTv can be pretty hard to
> set up.

It would be nice if they cleaned up the docs.  One guy keeps an RPM
repository, but there is still some manual stuff to do.  I couldn't get
apt-rpm to connect to his archive (atrpm he called it). *shrugs*
It apparently makes a big difference which video card you use if you
want super video out to work.  Apparently the nVidia GForce 440 MX and
up are recommended and they have a preference for the PVR-250 and now
350 card from Hauppage.  And processor, they recommend 1GHz per tuner
card.  Most of that is too rich for my blood.

--
A Computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
-as seen on IRC