spyware

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat Aug 9 02:18:05 CDT 2003

Kurt wrote:

> I was thinking, what does Linux do with spyware? I
> know that it can't run on Linux, but how does the
> browser handle it? Where does it go? Or does the
> webserver detect linux and just not send the spyware
> out? I was just curious is all.
>
> Kurt

Good question.  I had a pop-up for gator come up the other day.  If you
have Wine installed it may be able to run, but would require some help.
  I don't think wine has a registry (correct me please, I've never run
it) and the install script for something like Gator wouldn't find
windows or its .dlls in the expected place.  Try one on a test machine
and see.  I would disconnect your other PCs from the network or run this
test in the DMZ.  You have one of those, don't you.

Brian

--
A Computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
-as seen on IRC