twc spam

B. Liggett brad at liggett.org
Fri Aug 8 16:26:53 CDT 2003

Below is a message we received from Road Runner after many of our business
customers running mail servers were being denied from sending mail to
kc.rr.com accounts.  They are cracking down nationwide.

As part of our continuing efforts to reduce the amount of UBE traveling into
our network, Road Runner has taken a number of proactive steps and developed
a number of strong policies. These policies include the use of 3rd party
block lists and our own internal list. More information on these policies
can be found at http://security.rr.com.

As part of this continuing effort, we are contacting providers such as
yours, who host large numbers of high speed or dialup users, and may or may
not have specific "no server" policies within their AUP, and requesting that
they provide us with a list of their dynamically assigned IP address ranges,
which will then be blocked at our mail gateways. The reason for this is
because of the widespread number of dynamic subscribers who we have found
are infected with trojans such as Jeem, or have open proxy or SMTP
applications which allow third parties to hijack them.

We are, of course, prepared to extend the same courtesy to your
organization. Although our AUP/TOS does not specifically prohibit the use of
"servers", we understand that you may wish to block dynamically-assigned
addresses in any event. Our current DHCP assigned ranges are therefore
attached.

If such cooperation is not possible from your organization, Road Runner may
be forced to implement wider blocks to protect its network, which may
negatively impact your organizations' legitimate mail from reaching our
subscribers until the blocks can be lessened. We don't want to do this, and
of course will make every effort to avoid doing so, but we would appreciate
your cooperation nonetheless.

If you are not the correct person to contact with respect to this matter,
please forward this message to the correct person. Likewise, if there are
any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly at
xxx-xxx-2477. We also have a dedicated e-mail address
(spamblock at security.rr.com) that you may e-mail at any time with regard to
blocks on your network or ours.

Director - Operations Security

Road Runner