Can someone please

Chris Wagner ismgr at atchisonkansas.net
Thu Aug 7 18:01:06 CDT 2003

So I've been reading up on the Samba client and have Samba running on
this Yellow Dog 3.0 install, and in reading the man pages on the
smbclient, it suggested a command-line type interface to try printing.

So I got into a console window and did the following:

$ /smbclient //server_name/share -P/

That is followed by a /Password:/ prompt, at which I typed the default
user password.

I then got this prompt:

smb: >

at which I typed /print filename printer_name/ and it printed a standard
text file (the INSTALL file from the program I was trying to install).

Problem I'm having is that in setting this printer up in CUPS, I connect
to http://localhost:631 and then go to Manage Printers and setup the
Epson as a printer that used "Windows printing via SAMBA". I then set
the uri to:

Device URI: /smb://server_name/share/

At this point, I keep getting an error in CUPS that says:/

"Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...Cupsomatic
backend version $Revision: 2.13 $ running..."/

I'm at a loss here. Do I need to configure something in the Samba server
package to allow this thing to print?

Why does the smbclient print but CUPS won't allow me to use it as a
legitimate printer?

Do I need to configure something in the SMB client?

Thanks, all.

Chris

/

/