Samba and printers.

S Maggard torch at linuxjunkies.com
Mon Aug 4 23:25:09 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 10:22, Chris Wagner wrote:
> Can someone point me to a good reference for setting up Windows printers
> with
> Samba so that they can be shared with a Linux box?
>
> I have installed the samba server and client from RPM and I have no idea
> how
> to even launch the client (if it's a GUI client of any sort) and try to
> browse the windows network.
>
> I have the workgroup name setup the same on this Linux box as the Win2K box
> and shared out a public area on the Linux machine for file sharing.
>
> The smbd daemon is running and when I tried to do a smbmount command, it
> couldn't connect.
>
> I figured it was my lack of knowledge more than anything, so I thought
> I'd ask
> here to see if anyone had a quick answer.
>
> This is on a Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 PPC install.
>
> I also was trying to build a program from source called Sword and I
> can't seem
> to get it to build right.
>
> At first I found that I hadn't installed gcc, so I installed it and all
> it's
> dependencies and then ran the suggested shell script and then make
> (finished
> successfully) and then tried to log in as superuser to do a make install
> and
> got greeted with:
>
> make [1]: *** [swkey.lo] Error 1
> make [1]: Leaving directory `/home/Chris/sword-1.5.5/lib'
> make: *** [Install-recursive] Error 1
>
> Any ideas on any of those errors? Do I need something else in the way of
> compilers, etc installed before I run the make install?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris
The way that I do that is to use CUPS, after you install cups and set
the daemon to start at boot, all you have to do is go to
http://localhost:631 and follow the the web dialogs to set up a printer
via samba, all that this uses is the samba client so the server is not
needed.

S Maggard <torch at linuxjunkies.com>