anyone familiar with cpanel?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Aug 4 12:11:52 CDT 2003

On Sunday 03 August 2003 2:37 pm, Kurt wrote:

> im running a site that has cpanel administration.

They must be flush - those license fees are unreal!

> trying to block anonymous ftp access. i have the boxes
> UNchecked, but yet, i still have access.

(You're using a regular user account with no special privilages like 'wheel',
right?)

It's bee a long time since I locked down a public FTP server, but don't you
have to at least restart the daemon?  What's your FTP server config look
like?  You are running in a chroot jail, aren't you?

Insecure FTP is one of the easiest ways someone can completely own your
system.  Check the howtos at TLDP, and David Ranch's Trinity Linux Site as
well (posted here many times).