Work In KC Area?

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Mon Aug 4 01:06:25 CDT 2003

Michael Brailsford wrote:

>>Anecdotally speaking, I've heard some folks who review resumes as a part of
>>the hiring process make desparaging remarks about folks who "follow up" after
>>submitting resumes. I know some of the manuals on finding jobs recommend this
>>process of submitting then calling a week later, but there are some employers
>>who find this so annoying that they automatically deposit resumes of such
>>candidates into the round file.
>

> Then those are companies that do not prefer people that take the
> initiative.  And they are ones that are probably not worth the time,
> IMO.

What is sad is that all of the techniques we all have to use to get to
the interview is done merely to impress an HR flunky who has NO business
selecting technical employees.  Most of them have programs or scripts
built for them to run against resumes to search the text for keywords.
So if I don't have "Windows 2000 server" or some such verbiage in my
resume, it hits the bit bucket.  I've had some people say my resume is
too long winded or too long (being two pages), but I've also been
complimented on its thoroughness and completeness.  I try to be concise
with the major duties I've had at different positions, basically
summarize tasks, and then I have keywords after each job to satisfy the
text searchers.  Can't hurt.  I started this on the advice of a couple
of contract companies who didn't have the vaguest idea what Ghosting was
or how it is used, but wanted to be able to present me to client
companies who do.

Brian
--
A Computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
-as seen on IRC