Work In KC Area?

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Sun Aug 3 03:28:33 CDT 2003

On Saturday 02 August 2003 09:35, Paul Taylor wrote:
> Steve,
> You are so negative, no wonder you're unemployed and stop giving negative
> advice. Just because YOU can't get hired doesn't mean Sprint isn't
> hiring.

I'm not negative!  I'm just telling it like I see it.  Whether someone wants
to believe me or not is up to them.

However, in the past year I've turned in somewhere around 50 - 60 Sprint
JIRs and have only had two Interviews with Sprint.  Those two interviews
were last year right after being laid-off.  Since then nothing.

The reason I am no longer with Sprint is because an old manager gave me a 5
on a link --- which I did not deserve and no one else on my team thought I
deserved --- plus he painted a bad picture of my abilities, attitude and
work to the new manager and upper level management that took over when
several departments merged.  The manager I had when I left Sprint stated he
did not agree with upper managements decision and wanted to keep me.

> Example, our Director posted 3 jobs two weeks ago and has been
> interviewing, and they're hiring three people.

What job grade and in what capacity?  I was a job grade 074 working as a
Sys. Admin.  I haven't seen very many in this capacity or similar.  Plus,
the word is no more jobs are being added in this area, in fact, more job
cuts might be coming.

> The whole point of the issue is, Sprint does hire sometimes and some
> people get jobs. Is it worth posting your resume?

I thought posting my resume was worth it but, when I did, nothing became of
it.  Am I qualified for the position I had posting for? Yes.  I posted for
the position because I knew I could do the job and grow in the position.  I
had all the skills required to do the jobs, plus, a majority of the
preferred requirements.  Any skills I didn't have I could pick up quickly.

> Maybe you're concerned with someone on the list having better skills
> competing with you?

I'm not concerned.  May the best person win!  I'm just telling it like I see
it.

A better way to put it is "Don't waste too much of your time."  After all,
does anyone really want to waste too much time trying to get on-board with
a company that has a track record of lay-offs?