Work In KC Area?

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Sat Aug 2 22:31:49 CDT 2003

Aaron wrote:

>First off.  I track job opportunities in the area for my students and I
>would say about 30% of the ones posted have NO applicants.  Zero.  We have

I think you need to recheck your number because something is /seriously/
wrong with the above statement.

My partner graduated in June with a bachelors in telecommunications
management with a 3.47 GPA, has two years of system admin experience,
and has sent out over thirty resumes and not gotten a call back on a
/single one./ He has agressively followed up one week after submitting
each of them to find one of three things:

1. "The position was filled and there were hundreds of applicants"
2. "The possition will not be filled -- we don't have any money"
3. "There were so many applicants it will take us weeks to go through
the resumes but if I manage to find /yours /in this massive stack,
I'll remember that you called (yea, right)."

In short, I can't imagine any reason you would have the numbers or
ancedotal evidence you've stated unless the scope of your data
collection is limited to a microchasm of the local economy or limited to
$10/hour phone tech support.

Meanwhile, DeVry's career dept, the fuckers that produced these
imaginary 98% placement lies to get more people sucked in to their three
year program, have been lacklusterly sitting on their hand and only
half-assedly responding to students calls and querys as to where the
jobs-the-college-promissed-them-would-be-there are.

--
Jason Clinton
I don't believe in witty sigs.