gentoo go good

Eric Rossiter rossiter at discoverynet.com
Wed Apr 30 02:36:38 CDT 2003

Hey everyone,

Gentoo is slick, man... been slowly getting acclimated and I have a few
questions, if I may.

As a normal user, I can't start gdm or kdm, tells me only root wants to
do that.  I tried the fix suggested in the gentoo forums to no avail.
Any other ideas?

Will I not be able to type "startx" or is there a hack that's necessary?

When X fires up, it's way huge, but a few ctrl + alt + + or - puts
things where I want them.  How can I fix that, i.e. set a default
resolution?  I haven't searched for this one at all, so if you want to
point to a URL as opposed to spoon'n, I'm all eyes.

There's a couple more but they pertain to messages I see at boot and I
haven't copied them down yet.

I'm getting swamped with spam.  I don't have my own mail server.  Is
there anything I can set up here at home to filter mail if I don't have
a mail server?  (collect from discoverynet.com and send thru
comcast.net) I was thinking of setting up postfix to grab my mail from
discoverynet.com and filter it using spamassassin or some such... but
the more I read about postfix, sendmail, etc... you have to have a
fully-qualified domain name...

So far I've emerged KDE and Gnome... I like KDE better... Evolution,
Mozilla, vtund, lzo, (tunnel go good, over ssh, compressed btw...) gaim
and probably a few others I've forgotten.  What other wonder apps/tools
should I grab/does anyone recommend?

Thanks for your time.