Hacked systems and the law

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Apr 21 12:05:27 CDT 2003

We've been speculating a lot here about the legal distinctions when a system
is hacked but nothing harmful is done.  I would strongly suggest that anyone
who's really concerned about this do some reading on computer law and/or get
some real legal advice.  Even in this artificially paranoid environment, most
law requires that some actual damage be done before there is any prosecution.

Of course, this doesn't apply when it's you - you break some minor code and
the administration decides you're gonna be the example...