Lost a hard drive!? Help.

Jim Herrmann kclug at ItDepends.com
Thu Oct 31 00:39:15 CST 2002

I got it back!  My files are all there!  I think it was the Midnight Commander
that took care of it.  I used it's undelete feature, but it just kept running
and running, until I finally killed the task.  I watched it count up to 2
billion inodes, then it rolled over to -2billion and kept counting up.
Pretty strange.  But I couldn't break out of it.  So, I killed the pid.  When
I ran fsck as a part of the recover process, it said that there were no
deleted inodes, so I thought I was screwed.  Like a dummy, I didn't even
check the directory.  Later on I happened to pull up eroaster, and it had a
directory on the data partition as a default, and there were files there.
Whoo Whoo!  My data was magically restored.  You know, they say that any
sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.  :-)

I'm guessing that the failure was because this partition is mounted outside
the standard paths, /, /USR, /HOME, etc. that Mandrake did not, by default,
run fsck on the partition.  There was a question at boot up time, after the
crash, about running a full system check but it timed out and went on before
I could reply.  Once I ran the undelete, it found and recataloged the inodes
in the vtoc (not sure if I'm using the right terms here, falling back on my
mainframe terms) and viola, I had files.  Still don't know why recover had a
problem with the partition, but MC worked for me.

Thanks for everyone's input.  I learned a great deal from this experience.

Peace,
Jim