UCSB bans Windows NT/2K

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Thu Oct 10 23:34:47 CDT 2002

  I don't see it that way.  If the manufacturer of the OS in question is
unwilling or unable to patch the myriad of security holes, (or for that
mater, to even ACKNOWLEDGE the problems) then the people that own the
network infrastructure that are responsible for running and maintaining
the network should have a say in the OS.

If you had read the story, you would have seen (at least, I hope you
would have!) that the reasoning behind this was all the problems caused
by systems running these particular OSes.

If the NT, 'doze2k source was available, 2 things would happen:

1  Thousands of the more obvious bugs would be patched in the first 2
months

2   The justice department would spend six weeks in Redmond doing 'perp
walks' to round up everyone that had any contact with the code for these
two releases.  The Charge:  Criminal Incompetence!