/ full?

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Sat Nov 30 15:25:47 CST 2002

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Carl Sappenfield wrote:

> Looking at your du and df outputs reminds me of something I've seen in AIX,
> which may apply to Linux...
> If I'm reading this right, du is implying you've only used about 2.5G in
> your / partition (/ less /home).  df is saying it's almost 5.3G.  In AIX,
> this can happen when,  a file is deleted that a process is still writing to.
> The only way to get the space back is to shut down the process that was
> writing to the now non-existant file.
> I would just reboot and then see if du and df match.

No, don't reboot!  Use du with the -x option to skip directories on
different filesystems.  This is what you want.  Also, the -c option of du
just gives the grand total.  Or if you want to see just part of the
results of the list, you can use the --max-depth option to control the
visual granularity.  So many options...

By default du lists the cumulative total of the directory and all
directories mounted upon it.  You will see them all added together like it