New Super-Compression?

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Wed Nov 27 21:20:43 CST 2002

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Scott Long wrote:

> A friend of mine is a consultant for a local company (who would remain
> nameless, but I've gotta give you guys a link for this) and they've partnered
> with a company that supposedly has a new compression algorithm that can
> dramatically reduce the size of files (for example, from 8MB to less than
> 100k for an image).  You can find out info about it at:
>
> http://www.entrekc.com/products/compression.html

I love the claim "visually lossless."  This sounds like the claims of one
company who claimed lossless compression of random data.  The claim stated
you could put any stream of random data through their compressor and it
will be reduced by at least one byte.  Send it in again and you would have
a further reduction.  Repeat until you had a lossless file the size of one
byte.  Yes sir!  A one gigabyte file compressed down to one byte.  If its
good enough for the US Patent Office, its good enough for you!  Just don't
get your single byte compressed files mixed up.

Sound familiar?  Here you go:

http://www.entrekc.com/products/compression.html