Old Powerware UPS's

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Wed Nov 27 18:57:30 CST 2002

On 27 Nov 2002, Brad Crotchett wrote:

> Wow....I had no idea the demand for these!  Dwayne has already picked up
> one and is on the home with it.  He plans on coming back for the other.
> If anything changes I will certainly let you know, or you could probably
> contact him and see if he ends up using both.

Thanks Brad!  Let me know if I can ever return the favor.  Industrial
electronics is my profession.

The High Voltage Warning stickers on these units were telling the truth.
I have never measured 245 volts from a battery before.  Most of the
batteries are still good, which is suprising.  They are of the 1994
vintage and lead acid batteries usually provide 5 years of good service.
They appeared to have lived a good life.  The batteries that went bad,
looked like 245 volts went through them and did their worst.  I'm guessing
the batteries with holes burned from one side through the other are bad.
Now I just need to save up for 24 marine batteries and insualted cases.

Hopefully, I should get these wired into my bomb shelter by the weekend.
I plan on making an Extreme-UPS-HOWTO with pictures about this...