Gateway?

DAVID KUCHARSKI dave at iemco.com
Wed Nov 27 16:30:08 CST 2002

with that 486 box, 2 network cards - $5.00 each used at afterbytes  and
a working FLOPPY drive, you can have yourself a router!!
It will run from the FLOPPY, so there isn't a problem if the HD doesn't
work.  I use COYOTE linux for my router and it works great! comcast
cable supplies the modem!

I know that Charles Steinkuehler, charles at steinkuehler.net has a
BOOTABLE CD router called dachstein but with the 486, you might have
problems with the bootable cd portion of that solution.  I think his has
some better firewalling features than coyote linux.  either way you
wouldn't NEED a harddrive at all!!

the way mine is set up goes
cable-> modem -> linux router on eth0 -> to eth1 -> 5 port network
switch -> variety of boxes within the house.  It works great and i spent
$10 for used network cards (cable modem only runs at 10 mps, so using
old 3com 10mps cards in tandem to reduce amount f info that got squeezed
onto floppy ONE Card driver!) stuck it on a p90 i found in the trash!!
it actually still has win95 on the hard drive!
there are a bunch of linux on a floppy versions available if you feel
like going  that route.  it becomes a really secure way to go.  once you
write all your config to the floppy all you need to do is write protect
it and no one can make changes to your system.  a reboot returns
EVERYTHING to it's original working state!!