More Linux fun and adventure -- Ximian

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Tue Nov 26 06:00:05 CST 2002

Ok, I guess I'm still "growing" in my Linux knowledge here.   Why is it
there are 10 bazillion ways to make a desktop look/function/etc... but
nobody can agree to disagree long enough to get one thing thought out from
start to finish.  Ximian desktop is good example.  I had played with
Envolution during the summer but didn't realize that when I installed the
latest/greatest that my good old Gnome was going to be overtaken by some
weird new setup.  After playing around a while I had switched my window
manager to something funky (Kvm???) and all the sudden was having wireframe
"drop it here" type experiences.  I ran through enough sites to figure out
I could get my window manager back to at least something useful by using
"GDM" as root.   Whew!  I'm playing with the Red Carpet install system --
that I like very much.  The Ximian Gnome . . . it's going to have to go.
Any suggestions on how to purge that and get the lastest Gnome on there?
This is a Mandrake 8.2 install.

-- Bradley Miller