Odd networking via Samba?

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Sun Nov 24 00:31:55 CST 2002

One minor complaint I've had about my networking is some issues with seeing
other boxes on my Network.  My 95/98 boxes can't see my NT box but I can
see them just fine.  I was playing with the Samba install on the Mandrake
8.2/500Mhz PC and could see my NT box perfectly.  In fact everything about
it logging in and seeing PC's on my network works perfectly.  Very strange
. . . time to break out the config file from it and see if can't repair my
other boxes.

Another funny little story . . . I was playing one night with my older P200
"I gotta learn Linux" workstation that has been by my main PC for the past
3 years.  I open up the print tool and play around with it and had it
printing on my network in like 5 minutes to my laser sitting on my Win98
box in the other room.  I never could get it to print before because it
would never log onto my NT box for the laser when it was sitting there.  Go
figure . . . now I can actually print without having a printer of the
thing.  Ugh.  So many discoveries, so little time.

-- Bradley Miller