Lean & Mean FTP server

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Sat Nov 23 00:33:28 CST 2002

david nicol wrote:
> Why not try the
>
> http://cr.yp.to/publicfile.html
>
> suite and tell us how it works?

Well, first off, because I wasn't aware of it :-)

After a quick look at the ftp server, I don't think I can use it...it
only looks like it supports anonymous access.  We are serving multiple
"virtual" FTP directories with our existing setup.  Basically, there's
an anonomyous area accessable by anyone, and various other areas
accessible only when logging in with the correct user/password.

Using a login allows us to create seperate areas where the marketing
folks can put cruft for the dealers, another area for beta users to
download code updates, and similar.  None of the data is exactly
critically important to keep secret (which is a good thing, because lots
of folks know the "read-only" account password to the various areas),
but it does give me the ability to make a bunch of "virtual" ftp sites
using a single IP.  I couldn't see a way to do this without using
multiple IP's with publicfile.  :<

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net