Are C Data Structure Questions OK?

John Heryer jheryer at violet.jayhawks.net
Fri Nov 22 21:14:58 CST 2002

http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/btree.html
http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/avltree.htmlA

(fresh from google)

That site seems to have a fairly good explanation. The main difference
between the two trees is that the AVL tree is a binary search tree,
meaning each node can only have two children. The nodes of  b-tree can have "many"
children.

I have not seen or writen a real world "usefull" application using an avl
tree.  I'm sure there is something out there that makes use out of it. I
think this is due to the limitation of the struct requiring that the tree
be a binary search tree.

The b-trees are very important. Most databases use a variation of them to
manage their data.

To compair pros and cons of each data structure should be done in the
context of where you want to apply them.

I hope this helps...

--
John Heryer
jheryer at jayhawks.net