Samba on RedHat 8.0

Jeffrey A. McCright jmccright2 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 22 04:43:01 CST 2002

I am asumming you are setting up a workgroup style network and not a
Windows Domain style network. With that in mind, I offer the following.

***Note that some security compromises are made here.***

You may want to look for these settings in your /etc/samba/smb.conf file
regarding PAM.
Try changing to these settings:

pam password change = no
obey pam restrictions = no

Make sure your workgroup settings in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file match
your workgroup settings in windows.

Make sure that you have created user accounts in linux with the adduser
utility that exactly matches the user accounts in windows and make sure
the passwords match as well.

Also run:
    smbpasswd -a {username}
Where {username} exactly matches linux and windows usernames and you
want to be sure that the passwords are all the same.

Be aware that if your SMB account is disabled, it can be reenabled using
the -e switch.
  Smbpasswd -e {username}
(This SMB user account must already have been created)

User account and password example:

Linux system
  adduser jeff
  passwd jeff
    password: test
    confirm password: test
  smbpasswd -a jeff
    password: test
    confirm password: test

Windows 9x/NT/ME/2000/XP system
  user account that you log into uses the user account name jeff
  and the password is test.

This is a start. There may be other issues, but based on the info you
gave, this will probably get you started in the right direction.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jeff McCright

*** No Flames Please ***