Hard drive woes

darkweb4 at totalmail.com darkweb4 at totalmail.com
Wed Nov 20 04:55:29 CST 2002

It sounds like your drive is scrambled.  Take it out of the machine and bang the end with the
connections on some hard surface.  This will shake all the bits down towards the interface of the
drive.  Then put the drive back in the machine, and if it doesn't work then, call WD up and ask
them for a new drive, it must be defective.  <snickers> ;)

sorry about the misinformation, I, uh, had an interesting evening after the LUG.

Now I will attempt to give a real answer (uh, 42!).  You might try downloading the disk utilities
from WD's website.  One of those utilities should make a bootable floppy that will run diagnostics
and has a few other utilities on it.  It might be worth your time to try that, but I can't promise
anything.  There is some kind of program that should come on that floppy that will let you "low
level format/ zero write" the drive (not a real low level format, but that's what they call it
anyway)... I'm shooting at crows here, so that may not be a good fix.  But, you're going to wipe
the drive anyways, right? :)

Second Idea:  If the first idea leads nowhere, and the drive is still under warrenty...call WD up
and try and troubleshoot over the phone.  They will probably want to blame the BIOS, so you might
want to check with the BIOS manufactuer first.  If neither company can fix it, and you are SURE
that reflashing the BIOS won't improve your situation, you MIGHT be able to get a new (cough,
referbished and recertified, cough) drive from WD.

Sorry if none of this is helpful, but this is the best I can do without more research.  I can also
comiserate with you.  I had a sweeeet 80 gig WD caviar drive that died completly in less than a
year.  Total Hardware Failure.  I lost all my goodies! :'(    (that's when i became really anal
about backups)

Hope that this helped a little, and good luck