Linux Questionnaire

Eser Saydam esaydam1 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 14 22:33:47 CST 2002

No problem.  You make some good observations.  When I was developing a
thesis for this paper, I was attempting to narrow down my topic so I would
not have should a broad range of questions due to the length requirements of
the paper.  I'm limited to a semester worth of work so while some students
proposed vague research questions, my research question I am attempting to
answer is:

"In what ways has Linux provided all of the publicized technological
(increased scalability, flexibility, and reliability) and economical
(reduced TCO and increased ROI) advantages over commercial operating
systems?"

So I am attempting to gather what Linux users perceive as realized benefits
from implementing Linux, which sort of leads to having questions that steer
respondents to answer affirmatively.  Unfortunately, mostly Linux people
have responded so I will have to note that in my paper.  But my methodology,
scope, limitations, quantitative analysis, and a copy of the survey will
surely be included in this paper.  How would you improve my questionnaire?
Which had I had more time, I would have "fine-tuned" my survey after
submitting it to a smaller group first but my research time is a limiting
factor in this case.

Thanks again for your comments and I apologize for having to approach you in
this manner.

-Eser