Samba

Rich Edelman edelman at speedscript.com
Thu Nov 14 18:05:41 CST 2002

On Thursday 14 November 2002 11:43 am, Dale wrote:
> I have a samba server set up that acts as a PDS for a
> MS network. However I have seemed to have more trouble
> getting my SuSE system to access the shared folder on
> the samba box with rw access.  Seems to always want to
> mount it as a root share so the user can't write to
> the dir.  I know it is primarly a permissions issue.
> Anyway point being .. for the winblowz systems on the
> network the Linux/Samba works great.  And best part is
> that I don't have to reboot it once a month like the
> NT boxes that were running.

Easy fix for your mounting problem. You have to pass one of (or both) the uid
or gid options to mount. Something along the lines of:

mount //ntserver/netdrive -t smbfs -o
username=Rich=password=mypass,uid=500,gid=100 /mnt/NT

should work for ya. That'll make the files/directories in the mount owned by
those user/group ids. Another way to do this, but keeping everything owned by
root, would be to play with the dmask and fmask options. Look at `man
smbmount` for more options. :)

Rich