Speed test

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Sun Nov 10 19:39:49 CST 2002

Mick Ohrberg wrote:
> I have a rather interesting situation at home that I'd like to take
> advantage of. Right now, I have in my posession an UltraSparc1 (167MHz,
> 256MB RAM, running 64-bit Solaris 8), an AMD K6-2/500 (320MB RAM, running
> RedHat 7.1-seawolf) and a dual PPro 200 (512 kB cache, 132MB RAM, running
> the smp kernel of RedHat 8.0-psyche).
>
> Is there a good, multi-threading 'speed test' application out there? I am
> right now running SETI at home, and it's giving me some indication of how the
> speed is between the boxes, but I'd like to see a 'true' performance test
> run.
>
> Btw, which one do YOU think is the fastest? :) Get the bets going! :)

Can I vote for one of my DEC PW500A 500 MHz Alpha systems running RH
7.1?  :)

Seriously, if you find a good test, let me know, and I'll run it on the
Alphas for comparison.  While SETI at home is definately processor
intensive, it's mainly FPU instructions, so it's probably testing the
FPU library and/or FPU co-processor more than the CPU.

I also have a couple K6-233 systems that would make for a nice
comparison with the K6-2/500 system you've got...

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net