File Server

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Sat Nov 9 04:15:39 CST 2002

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> What about FTP?  Or FTP under HTTP?  Or just HTTP?  The default RedHat 7.2+
> RPM's for Apache come with commented configurations for file uploads.  You
> would probably want to implement authentication, and possibly SSL security,
> but there's no need to install some weird theming package for a simple basic
> file retrieval function.

I'm generally not keen on suggesting commercial software - but I have to
say that in my own experience (considering I'm a Windows admin, etc.) that
SecureFX from VanDyke (www.vandyke.com) is quite effective for the type of
behavior this gentleman is interested in.  It can certainly be used as an
ftp client if you wish, but where this one really shines is in using scp.
In the event he doesn't know what that is, it's secure copy over ssh.

Anyway, SecureFX is a 32-bit gui client that works great on Windows.  It's
drag and drop pretty much, within the confines of the application.  (That
is to say, you log onto your server via scp and have a file explorer for
the server as well as one for your local machine.  You can drag files
to/from each window within the application.)

I've not yet used it, but it has a file syncronization feature too - you
enter the local path on your windows machine that you want to sync with
your server, then a server path - and tell it to do it.  Pretty painless.

If you wanna get a look at it - download an eval copy from the VanDyke
website - or feel free to contact me off list.

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com |                                         |
| Moon-Lite Computing         |  Occam's eraser:                        |
| 913.579.7117                |  "The philosophical principle that even |
*-----------------------------|  the simplest solution is bound to have |
                              |  something wrong with it."              |