Emacs

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Tue Nov 5 23:12:46 CST 2002

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Jeremy Fowler wrote:

> Anybody know how to change the delete key behavior in emacs? I find it
> very annoying that my delete key is acting like a backspace key.
> (Deleting from the left instead of the right)

This is usually solved as a termcap issue.  Many kinds of xterms go
further by offering a menu item for swapping those keys.

But I heard this works in your .emacs file

   (global-set-key [backspace] 'delete-backward-char)
   (global-set-key [delete] 'delete-char)

And if you want to create an .inputrc to do these in bash:

<.inputrc>

"e[C": 	forward-char
"eOC":		forward-char
"e[D": 	backward-char
"eOD":		backward-char
"e[3~":	delete-char
"e[1~":	beginning-of-line
"e[4~":	end-of-line

To see what the keys send, type "cat -t", and press the keys you want to
know about. After you press ENTER, the codes will be shown... more in the
man bash page under "Readline Command Names"...

choices, choices!