Food for Thought

Marvin GodfatherofSoul Bellamy mbellamy at kc.rr.com
Tue Nov 5 22:21:24 CST 2002

I need to make a distinction between what I think is a good idea for
filtering and what exists today.  If there's a law that states that
pornographic sites and content have to be marked (headers, domain name,
etc.), then your filtering is absolutely inclusive.  It's not the bogus
filtering schemes that these commercial products rely on.  Also, it
makes it easier to prosecute and monitor sites.  Is the site adhering to
the law by indicating the nature of its content? No? Then penalize.  My
guess is librarians don't want patrons whacking off in the stacks, but
are most concerned with the objective nature of filtering by current
commercial products.

The law should only be enforced in cases where a web site has spammed or
broadcast links to its content without the indicators.  No need for a
Porn Patrol snooping around any old porn site (but I'd volunteer).

The filtering can also work in reverse.  If a client sends a certain
header, then porn sites will block access to that client (allowing
parental control or proxy control).  Either node has the option to stop
the porn flow, like killing a persistent connection with HTTP.

--
  @~/ Oo ~@  | AKA GodfatherofSoul
 /_( __/ )_ | website:  http://godfatherofsoul.tripod.com
    __U_/    | E-mail:   mbellamy at kc.rr.com