Food for Thought

Becker, Rob Becker at celeritas.com
Tue Nov 5 18:44:04 CST 2002

I agree that legislating the use of proprietary filtering products that do not work and often
further the agenda of their parent corporations is wrong.  I also believe that there is much
content on the net that needs to be screened out for children.  As such, I wonder, can a bayesian
filtering algorithm similar to what has been proposed for screening out spam be applied to the
problem of inappropriate content and protecting children from it?   Most browsers already keep a
cache of content we have viewed.  How difficult would it be to add a mechanism allowing the user to
drop bad content into one cache folder for filtering out bad content?  It would be fairly safe to
assume that content not labelled bad was at least acceptable if not good.  Could organizations that
police adult sites then publish lists of words and their weights from the corpus of sites they have
on blacklists for use by parents and other concerned entities?  How difficult would it be to
utilize this in a pro!
xy?  It would seem as though there is a a great need for filtering software that actually works and
can be flexible enough to keep kids from inappropriate content, or workers away from games without
rendering a large part of the internet inaccessible.  Just some thoughts sparked by the recent
discussion of filtering content.  One other note, could such a tool also be used to increase the
relevance of internet searches?  Any thoughts, ideas, links or dialogue are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Rob