Two sound cards, and don't know what to do with them

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Mon Nov 4 09:38:03 CST 2002

On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, Jim Herrmann wrote:

> I have a Nvidia MB with sound on it, and a PCI Sound Blaster Live card.
> They are both configured.  I can't figure out how to switch back and
> forth between them.  How do I route sound to the sound module of my
> choice?  Is this even possible?  It seems reasonable to do.  Any ideas?

Do they both have different interrupts and I/O ports?  If so, they should
have different entries in the /dev directory as /dev/dsp0, /dev/dsp1,
/dev/mixer0, /dev/mixer1, etc., with symbolic links to the default
/dev/dsp and such.  If you are using devfs and OSS, everything you have
should be listed in the /dev/sound directory.